What is the Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan is a guide for the future! It establishes a framework to guide decisions about growth, preservation and change within our City. The document, officially adopted by City Council, will describe Bristol’s direction for future development and will recommend policies and projects to achieve desired results.
The process will involve a variety of stakeholders including Elected Officials, City Staff, a Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee, Regulatory Agencies, a Consultant Team led by Design Workshop, and the General Public.
Our Comprehensive Plan will address some of the following topics:
- Land Use
- Parks and Open Space
- City Services
- Economic Development
- Urban Design
The Comprehensive Plan is community driven and citizen participation is a vital component of the planning process! We need to hear from you!
- Follow the City’s Facebook page
- Follow the City of Bristol Twitter account
- Attend a Community Meeting
- Create a neighborhood “Plan on a Page”
Have an hour to spare or a standing meeting with coworkers, civic groups, or neighbors? Consider hosting a Plan on a Page event!
Plan on a Page is a tool designed for community groups, neighborhood associations, interest groups or friends to gather at a convenient time and location to share their opinions about the future of the City of Bristol and to become involved in the creation of the Comprehensive Plan.
The Plan on a Page document contains everything needed to hold your own conversation about the future, including discussion questions and a form to provide feedback. You can access the Plan on a Page document here.
- Take a survey HERE
Existing plans are an important part of the Comprehensive Plan process. A careful analysis of existing plans and studies will be conducted to inform the new plan. Some of these documents include:
- Bristol Regional Medical Center Exit 74 Plan
- Land Use Plan and Policy
- Comprehensive Parks and Recreation Plan
- Fairmount Neighborhood Plan
- Long-Range Transportation Plan Year 2040
- Comprehensive Trails and Greenways Master Plan
Community surveys will be used to gauge community needs and to obtain background information for the project.
- Take a survey!
- Survey Results
Committee members were appointed by the City Council to:
- Represent and be a voice of their community(ies)
- Help guide the process based on local knowledge
- Participate in the meetings
- Be part of the public outreach program
- Build community support and enthusiasm
- Review the document and offer constructive feedback
- Communicate with and engage key interest groups
- Communicate with and engage under-served or under-represented groups
List of Committee Members:
Judge Randy Kennedy
July 27, 2017: Community Workshop # 1 – Introduction and Keypad Polling Exercise
October 2017: Community Workshop #2 – Strategies, Goals, Group Planning Exercise
January 2018: Community Workshop #3 – Review Frameworks, Policies, and and Implementation steps
February-March, 2018: Consultants will draft Comprehensive Plan Document
April- May, 2018: Planning Commission and City Council Review of Comprehensive Plan
June-July, 2018: Revisions
August-September 2018: Adoption of Final Plan Document