Charlie Robinette Park
Charlie Robinette Park / Bark Park
Charlie Robinette Park is an 8.16 acre park located at 1155 Vance Drive. This park is constructed on the site of the old waste water plant. Planning for this park began in 2008. The park would include a pavilion with restrooms, a large green space and a walking trail. Construction began in late 2009 and the park opened to the public on April 10, 2010.
During the construction, a number of names were discussed and ultimately City Council named the park in memory of Charlie Robinette who served the city for more than 40 years in the Public Works Department and was instrumental in the construction of Rooster Front Park located across the street from this location.
This park has a 30 ft. x 50 ft. picnic shelter with restrooms. There are 3 - 15 ft. aluminum picnic tables under it with one of them being wheelchair accessible. This shelter has lights, power, a yard hydrant, a drinking fountain and a grill. Tetherball and a 175 ft. x 280 ft. multi-use field next to the shelter are also available. There are 3 recycled trash can holders at this shelter with 3 more along the trail.
There is an asphalt paved parking lot with room for 29 vehicles with 2 of the slots being handicapped accessible. The Lakeside Trail from Steele Creek Park continues into this park, along a swift flowing creek, to a cul-de-sac for an additional 1320 linear feet.
The Bark Park; the city’s first dog park is located on the upper tier of this Park. The dog park was completed in the fall of 2009. There are two sections to the dog park; an area for larger dogs and an area for smaller dogs. More than 1,000ft of chain-link fence surrounds the two areas. Both areas have drinking fountains that also have a dog bowl at the bottom. There are eight park benches, and eight trash receptacles. At each receptacle is a box was poo bags.
The Bark Park has a separate paved parking area with 15 parking spaces. Four of the large trees at this location were relocated from the Central School site when the building was razed. The large dog area has a paved trail leading out the back and connecting with the walking trail.