The Bristol, Tennessee City Council is seeking qualified candidates to fill a recently vacated seat on the Bristol, Tennessee Board of Education. The seat was formerly held by board member Randy Frye, who relocated outside of the city limits, making him ineligible for continued service on the board. The individual chosen to fill this vacancy will serve the remainder of Mr. Frye’s unexpired term. A successor will be elected at the next general city election on May 21, 2019
To be considered for appointment to the Board of Education, interested individuals must meet the following qualifications as set forth by state law and the city’s charter:
- Shall be citizens of recognized integrity, intelligence, and ability to administer the duties of the office, and must have a “high school education or GED.” (TCA 49-2-202.)
- Shall be a Sullivan County voter. (TCA 49-2-202.)
- Must be a resident of the City and a citizen of Tennessee for at least one year before election. (Charter 6-1.)
- May not hold any executive, judicial, or legislative office under the United States, the State of Tennessee, or Sullivan County. (Charter 6-1.)
- May not be an employee of the Board of Education. (Charter 6-1.)
- May not be a current member of the City Council. (Charter 6-1.)
As this is an at-large seat on the board, candidates need not reside in a specific city district for consideration. Individuals who meet these qualifications should submit an application along with a professional résumé no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2017. Applications may be submitted on the city’s website at www.bristoltn.org as well as to the City Manager’s office. The City Council will interview selected candidates on Tuesday, August 29, at 5:30 p.m., and the appointment will be made by official vote at the regularly scheduled City Council meeting on Tuesday, September 5.
For more information, please contact City Manager Bill Sorah at 423-989-5500 ext. 2046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.